Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Facing the Sea of Variety!

Hi all,

Yes, I realize it's been far too long since I sat down and poured out all the ramblings that tumble around in this blonde head of mine...

Hmmm, where to begin? Well, I think what I'll share about at this particular moment is the epiphany I had, just recently, when I realized that the moment I stopped searching for something, *POOF* it appeared.

Basically, and for those of you who know me best, I'm back to talking about relationships... Yes people...back to men... Bear with me...

Relationships to me are like air. They are what keep me going each day. Some people need a sense of accomplishment, some a sense of superiority. Some need to fill a desire for goodness through beauty and the senses, and the rest of us, well we desire to have fulfilling relationships and to improve ourselves to the highest form of self-actualization. (Sound familiar to my nursing colleagues?...yep...We're talking Maslow).

So, you may think, "but Erica, I thought you were taking a break from 'dating'... What's up?" Well, I did, and in a way, I still am. I've just decided that I'm no longer looking for that specific "one". I'm going to go out and try to meet the most fun and interesting people I can. If I can't live a life full of adventure and excitement (after all, how in the heck do I fit any MORE into my already jam-packed life??), then I'll just meet people who do, and enjoy it through them. :)

Case in point, I decided to jump back onto a dating website... *groan*.... I know... but hey, it's free, and really, what do I have to lose?

And of course I see the sea of faces I've seen on other sites over the past 4 years...some people I've dated, some I've avoided, and some I actually know from real life!

In my "search" I selected an age, a marital status, a location, height, body type, healthy lifestyle choices, etc.... all with the results that I found a whole lot of the same... People who were out living their lives, just like me... Work, fun, kids, sleep, work, fun, kids, sleep, and on and on and on....

If I really truly want to get out and meet new and interesting people, this just doesn't seem to be the ticket.

So, I'm searching one day and lo and behold, there is a picture of a particularly attractive man and a most interesting profile. For some strange reason, his picture really caught my eye and I felt that little *jump* in my chest. (Come one ladies...you know the feeling.) And so, with a very quick 'click' of the mouse, I proceeded to "favorite" him to my list.

It wasn't until the next day and after I received a most pleasant response that I realized this particular man was a smoker, and in other ways, didn't fit into my original neat and tidy little search engine... (Initial panic!) But then....hmmm......

"Well" I say to myself. This is it... I either go forward and see where this leads, or hide and stay in my boring safe little world.

So, I took the chance. Let me tell ya friends, I'm glad I did.

My horizons are being broadened, adventures are arriving, and I've had more fun in the last few days than I've had in the last 6 months!

So, the point to my blog today...?

OPEN your horizons, TRY something new, STEP out of your comfort zone!!

Life is going by very quickly and it's way too short to not get out and fulfill your needs, but do it in a way that's different, new, and brings variety to your life!

For you "task doers", do something that isn't necessarily prudent or practical! For you "intellectuals", try something silly! For you "artists", let yourself be criticized, and for us "relationship-tenders", open your eyes and meet someone out of your realm of familiar identity. We'll all become fuller, better rounded, and more secure individuals in the long run.

I believe there's a purpose behind this 'chance' encounter. And I'm open to the lessons I'm learning. It's a cool feeling to know that in the great big picture of life, God has a plan for even something so simple as a second glance at a picture in a sea of faces...

1 comment: